Monday, October 22, 2012

Our 2012 Homemade Halloween Costumes...Let's Go Camping!


We love making Halloween costumes and we always come up with a theme for our boys.  This years theme is Camping!  We recently bought a vintage camper that my husband just finished restoring and thought that camping costumes would be fitting this year. We enter the city of Marietta, GA costume contest every year and these took 1st place in all age groups along with the grand prize!yay!!  These costumes cost us less than $10 dollars to make all of them together!

Here is our Scotty camper...


My husband created a replica of our camper for my 8 year old made out of a refrigerator box (thanks Brandsmart)! He used spray paint to decorate....  


Here is the front...


The back with a LUV2CAMP GA license plate!:)


This is my little 6 year old Camp Fire! My husband made the base from cardboard and spray painted cut up pool noodles for the logs.  The stones our packing bubbles spray painted grey.  I poked holes in the logs (pool noodles) with a sharp knife and stuffed red, orange, and yellow tissue paper in the holes using a regular knife.  I pinched the bottom from pieces of tissue paper and taped it together. I used red thread and sewed the tissue paper in the hat using 1 stitch so I could easily remove it. I taped the tissue paper together so it would stand up straight.  It was a windy day and this worked out perfect keeping it all together.  I painted his face with flames to blend in.  


We popped a couple of jumbo Jet-puffed marshmallows on sticks for him to hold and roast!:)


Here is my little 2 year old Roasted Marshmallow!  We tried to think of something comfortable and easy for him to wear that he wouldn't try to pull off. He loved this and it turned out so cute. In fact he was the definite hit of the costume contest!  We were supplied with so many marshmallow from our friends at Jet-puffed awhile back and we thought a marshmallow would be the perfect costume to make since we are loaded with them here at the house!  Plus...we always make so much of our fun food with marshmallows!  

This is so easy to make.  My husband took a piece of foam and cut it to size. Cut out a round piece with a hole in the middle and glue to the top.  Cut holes from the sides for the arms.  Paint it white and then use brown spray paint on the top and bottom to give it that roasted look. Glue velcro to the back so it will hold together.  Push a stick in the back side and that is it!  



We had him holding a Hershey bar and Keebler graham cracker. I never give him chocolate and he gobbled that Hershey bar up so fast on stage.  It did keep him focused and still.  However he was quite wired that night!  


Here they are at the Marietta square costume contest. You can see my 2 year old has chocolate dribbled down the front of him from that Hershey bar...yum yum!:)


Here we are...the Mills family and our camping creations! We actually got in the paper this year!  These were so fun to make and we love doing homemade costumes every year!


Another shot of my camping boys!


Here are some fun costumes that we have made from previous years using boxes, fabric, and foam. My husband always amazes me with what he can make with boxes.  We usually go with what we already have and keep all 3 costumes under 20 bucks.  

Here are their 1st place Sea Life costumes from last year....


1st place Antique Auto theme from 2010. My husband made the gas pump and roadster from boxes and I made the little oil can using foam and material....


My little Pirate Boat and Treasure Chest from 2009...both 1st place. My husband Josh made these using boxes.  I decorated....


My husband made this Robot costume in 2008 for my oldest. Isn't this so cool?! Grand prize winner!


My mom made this skunk costume for my middle boy in 2008...


My mom also made this Billy Goat costume for my oldest when he was a baby.  One of my favs!:)


If you like our silly food we would love for you to follow along on our RSS feed , Facebook , & Twitter!



54 comments:

  1. Super, super cute costumes and all so creative!! I especially love the family themed ones. Amazing job!!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. adorable jill!! and congrats to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, those are seriously impressive!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute and original. Do the other entrants ever realize that you guys win every year?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just great, Jill!
    I loove homemade costumes, I like the way you got all kids in a single theme, and I expecially loove the outcome - creative design and fun!
    Congratulations on all of your prises -well deserved !
    Best wishes,
    Ana@carpe-diem

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! Those costumes are darling! Thanks for sharing!
    Chelsea
    http://www.asilivewithanxiety.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so fantastic. Congrats on your grand prize. You sure deserve it. I am in love with the camp fire costume. It is simply adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cute and fun! Thanks for sharing all the years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy heck! Well deserved wins, every one :) So cooooool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing on our homemade costume parade! It's adorable! What creativity you have each year it just reminds me of how much Halloween was for our family as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is UNBELIEVABLE! Thanks for coming to party with us at Whimsy Wednesday!

    Kelly,
    Smart! School {House}
    www.smartschoolhouse.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so clever!!! Sharing on fb!

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are the cutest costumes I have ever seen! So creative.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, my! These are the cutest home-made costumes I've ever seen. I love the camper best of all. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those camping costumes are AWESOME! I love homemade Halloween costumes....especially group costume:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute! Officially the cutest idea I have seen! I hope you will link this up to The CSI Project starting tonight. The challenge is DIY Halloween Costumes. You just might win!!!!

    www.thecsiproject.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous! Just love how creative and cute these are. Would love for you to join my Craftastic link party so I can pin it to my Craftastic Picks board!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ADOREI... Quanta criatividade, e seus filhos são adoráveis.
    Ficou D+
    Beijos Márcia (Rio de Janeiro - Brasil).

    http://decolherpracolher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. HA!! LOVE THE BILLY GOAT AND THE MARSHMALLOW!! Found you from mom on time out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness, how adorable! So clever. Thanks for making me smile!

    Warmly, Michelle
    Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust

    PS - I also had 3 sons. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing!! LOVE all of them!! Thanks for sharing!

    www.wendymacdesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. These costumes ROCK! HA! Amazing job. Saw you on the One Artsy Mama linky and came to say hello : )

    ReplyDelete
  23. These costumes are absolutely adorable!! Love it!! Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the little smore marshmallow guy costume...so cute!

    Thanks for sharing 'em at our linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You guys clearly rule at group costuming!! I love every year!

    ReplyDelete
  26. My 3 boys had a great time checking out your photos, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I live at a camp so these costumes are my favorite in YEARS!!! I love the marshmallow and the fire but that camper is awesome!!! Thank you so much for adding it to the Halloween Party!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are just precious ... the camper is my fav ! E

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are beyond adorable! You are so talented..thanks for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow so amazing! This is the most creative costume (and all your years of costumes) that I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you so much for sharing your fun crafts for kids at Cast Party Wednesday! Have a GREAT week! ~Sheryl @ Lady Behind The Curtain~

    ReplyDelete
  32. OMG! These costumes are fabulous. Looks like everyone is having a great time. Thanks for sharing.
    Cindy Lou

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love this trio! My husband LOVES vintage old campers. I have a feelin' you mighthave inspired next years costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  34. oh my gosh, the camping ones! how i have missed commenting on this. hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Absolutely adorable. We love camping and this is just too cute. I will be featuring this post on Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch tomorrow. Thanks for linking up, Nichi
    www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. OMG! That is the coolest thing ever! Featured you on my blog. Please stop and check it out. http://wedratherbecamping.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  37. So, so cute! :) You are a featured favorite this week on Saturday Show & Tell on Cheerios and Lattes! Thanks again for sharing with us last week, we can't wait to see what you have for all of us this week! Have a great weekend! :)
    Mackenzie :)
    http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Also featuring this on my Facebook page today. Thanks, Nichi
    www.facebook.com/TheMandatoryMooch

    ReplyDelete
  39. I mean, who doesn't love these homemade Halloween costumes? They are adorable!!! I just I had these when I was growing up, would have been way more fun during the season. Not too late for the kids nowadays though.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Among those costume, that campfire costume definitely takes the cake! I hope to see more of these great costumes in your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Awww they are so adorable on those costumes! Soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your costumes are so creative. Thank you for sharing with us. Can't wait to see what you come up with for this year!

    ReplyDelete
  43. These are all so creative. I have been looking for theme party costumes ideas for my family. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  44. This are great idea for Halloween. I have found good Halloween Costumes in amazon that are affordable.

    Happy Halloween Guys!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I was browsing for really scary, funny, amazing, cool, clever,dyi and unique Halloween costumes and so I found this post. I hope it’s fine with you if I could pin some to my Pinterest boards. Thank you so much and keep on sharing informative posts !

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow! they are soooo cute and adorable! I love those marshmallows and pirate and boat costumes! They are so cute!

    Cheers and happy halloween
    Barbara
    Homemade Halloween Costumes

    ReplyDelete
  47. Nice costumes, and congratulation. Thanks for sharing them.

    Cheers and hugs,

    Halloween Costumes ideas

    ReplyDelete
  48. Looking for any awesome, scary, funny or weird Halloween Costume Ideas and just in time, I found your blog which is very interesting. Thanks for sharing and I do hope I could pin some nice photos on my Pinterest boards. Good day! :D

    ReplyDelete