Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hot Rod Birthday!


It's my husband Josh's birthday today.  He owns a Hot Rod shop here in down town Marietta, GA so the boys wanted to make one of his hot rods on his birthday cake.  He has a awesome group of guys working for him and they make the most beautiful pre 1950's hot rods you will ever see! Josh is so talented and I am always amazed at the work that comes out of his shop.  He has been featured in numerous national car magazines and currently writes for 2 of the largest hot rod magazines! He has also been in a couple of Discovery Channels Biker Build Offs and is a flathead genius!

We tried to recreate his 1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe out of fondant.  I never really work with fondant so this is far from being perfect!  It was fun though.  It's like playing with play dough!  It's not as easy as it looks and I have so much respect for these cake decorators that make amazing cakes with fondant.  They make it look so easy!

I know we are probably breaking the fondant cake law by using frosting and fondant, but my husband really does not like the taste of fondant.  I figured this way he could easily just pop off the fondant decorations. I used up my box of rice krispie treats so we just covered a Twinkie to make the car.  We colored a hand full of fondant black and colored a small amount light gray.  I think coloring the fondant is the worst part for me. As you notice there is no color...he's a black and white kind of guy.

We rolled out a piece of the black fondant and layed it on the Twinkie.  We shaped the other pieces and just pressed them on. We took the left over black fondant and rolled it out. We cut small squares using a knife and pressed them into the white frosting.  We piped more white frosting around the edges and that's it! Super simple!

This might also be a great  idea to go by for a Father's Day cake for the dads into old and new cars!

Might I suggest cutting your finger nails first...you can see a few of my nail marks! Here is a close up...


Here is a view of the back...


I put candles coming out the back of the car. Here is the birthday boy!


My husband has built a lot of cars and bikes, but here are just some of them that we currently own and have owned in the past....

Here is my husbands 1935 Coupe that we tried to copy on the cake....



This is the back of it...



This is our family 1950 Mercury..we have had this car for a long time and have a lot of fun in it!


Here is a 1946 Harley he built...



Here I am in a 1960 truck we used to have...


Here are the boys playing in a 1952 truck we used to have...


This is our 1948 Chevy we used to have...such a fun car!


Here is Josh's 1933 truck that he built. He brought this home and I was thinking..what in the world is he going to make out of these small pieces of rusty junk!  This is what it turned in to!


Here is our old 1957 Studebaker...really miss this car!


Here is a 1947 Indian Josh built for a bike build off for a big motorcycle show...he got 1st place!


Here is Josh & the boys in our 1935 Cabriolet that we just sold....


My boys have so much fun in these cars! I mean..what little boy wouldn't love to be dropped off a school in a cool hot rod!  I actually drove the '35 coupe for the first time this past weekend to a car show.  I was scared half to death, but it was so much fun!  My husband built this car from a rusty piece of junk nothing and it took him a few years to finish. I was so afraid I would wreck it!  I would have felt better driving our 1950 Merc, but wasn't comfortable with how big it is.  Maybe after seeing me drive his '35 he just might build me my own hot rod!!

Happy Birthday Josh..we love you!

If you like our silly food we would love for you to follow along on our RSS feed , Facebook , & Twitter!



13 comments:

  1. The cake is awesome! My dad's 60th bday is this Dec & this is the theme we are going with. He has a 1950 Ford Custom and a 1977 MGB. They are not fixed up, but he loves his cars. I wish we could do that for him. We will celebrate & have a great time. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm going to try to make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool--both the cake and all the hot rods!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you...that's great! This cake really didn't take that long to make and I am sure you could make it look better than ours! It's a lot easier than making the whole cake look like a car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job decorating that cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill, your fondant car looks amazing. I can't imagine you've not worked with fondant much. Your sculpting skills are great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This blog was really fascinating! Your cake came out really great! I think those old cars would be very fun to ride in, maybe drive? Lol. Happy Birthday to your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work! The car came of great. I'd love for you to share this at Whatcha Whipped Up Wednesday. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What cool cars! Your husband must have loved the cake...such a perfect likeness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the studebaker! so super cute. one day i'd like to own a little nash metropolitan in two tone. my boyfriend is rebuilding a 37 chevy truck, and he'd love a cake with it on it! how awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! A perfect cake and such lovley motor vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cool cake, I especially like the candles in the back. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete